Quando ouvimos falar de bullying, imediatamente pensamos em crianças e adolescentes e nos tempos de escola. Será que isto também pode ocorrer no ambiente de trabalho? Veja o artigo:
What is workplace bullying?
Bullying is usually seen as acts or verbal comments that could ‘mentally’ hurt or isolate a person in the workplace. Sometimes, bullying can involve negative physical contact too. Bullying usually involves repeated incidents or a pattern of behavior that wants to intimidate, offend, degrade or humiliate a particular person or group of people.
Is bullying a workplace issue?
In general, there will be different opinions and sometimes conflicts at work. However, behavior that is unreasonable and offends or harms any person should not be tolerated.
What are examples of bullying?
While bullying is a form of aggression, the actions can be both obvious and subtle. The following list is included as a way of showing some of the ways bullying may happen in a workplace. Examples include:
- spreading malicious rumours, gossip.
- excluding or isolating someone socially.
- undermining or deliberately impeding a person’s work .
- physically abusing or threatening abuse.
- removing areas of responsibilities without cause.
- constantly changing work guidelines.
- establishing impossible deadlines
- criticizing a person persistently or constantly.
- blocking applications for training, leave or promotion.
It is sometimes hard to know if bullying is happening at the workplace. Many studies say that there is a “fine line” between strong management and bullying. Comments that are objective and provide constructive feedback are not usually considered bullying, but are used to help the employees with their work. If you are not sure if an action or statement could be considered bullying, you can use the “reasonable person” test. Would most people consider the action unacceptable?
Texto adaptado para propósitos pedagógicos. Pode ser visualizado na íntegra no link descrito pela fonte.